It’s done! On Tuesday I finished the vest, and was able to move on to the next part of the Sprocket cosplay.
I ended up picking up stitches around the armholes then working a 3-st, i-cord BO/applied i-cord around the edge, grafting the ends together. I didn’t bother with a provisional CO, I just used the yarn tail to duplicate stitch the join so it looked flush. In this image you can see the difference between the before (left) and the after (right).
I did the same thing for the neckline, with one minor tweak. The edges were curling, and I preferred the lower edge. So when I picked up the sts I picked up about 3 rows down in the flat sections, turning that extra fabric to the back. After working the i-cord I took another length of yarn and tacked that little flap down on the insides.
You can just barely see it on the inside, and see a slight ridge on the outside, but I don’t mind.
The lighting in my kitchen sucks, but here’s the back…