A few years ago one of the games the kids were obsessed with was Neko Atsume. They loved collecting all the little cats and their toys and taking in-game Polaroids of the kitties doing cute things. Snowball was Henri’s favorite, and on his 9th birthday he asked for a Snowball pic cake.
First thing I did, as always, was to bake the cakes a few days before his party.
He couldn’t decide between cherry chip or vanilla cakes so I made one of each then set them aside to stay moist until time to decorate.
Next I made the fondant topper. Just as for the Tem Shop cake I like to make my fondant toppers in advance as well so they have time to harden and set before placing on the cake.
I’m a big proponent of using references, so once again I found a reference image and scaled it to my desired size. I couldn’t find one with the specific pose Henri wanted (Snowball holding the red ball) so I found separate references and combined them myself into one.
On the same day I baked the cakes I also rolled out some white fondant and cut it to the size of my Polaroid. I let it air dry until the night before the party, when I sat down to finish the cake.
I used a pin tool to lightly sketch the cat outline in place by tracing the Snowball cut out onto my fondant. Then I used edible ink markers to color in the image, finishing with black for the cartoon-look outline.
Using a reference image is a really great way to help get a result that you’re happy with!
I set the topper aside so the ink could dry and then it was time to focus on the cake! First step was to levelled and tort each cake, then stack them into place.
The trimmed bits of cake freeze really well for future snacking, or you can crumble them up and mix with your leftover icing to make cake pops (which also freeze well for future snacking!).
First the cake gets a crumb coat (above) and then later a second, clean layer of icing.
I applied the topper to the still-moist icing and then the cake was done!
The fondant topper doesn’t add too much extra thickness to the top of the cake and does not need to be removed for slicing. It’s also easily removable from the slice for anyone who doesn’t like the taste.
Henri’s other birthday treats
- Henri’s 1st birthday – football cake
- Henri’s 2nd birthday – The Wiggles cake
- Henri’s 3rd birthday – Dora and Diego cake
- Henri’s 4th birthday – Jake & The Neverland Pirates cake
- Henri’s 5th birthday – Skylanders cookies & cake topper
- Henri’s 6th birthday – Minecraft plains biome cake
- Henri’s 7th birthday – Pitfall: The Lost Expedition cake
- Henri’s 8th birthday – Undertale Tem Shop cake
- Henri’s 9th birthday – candy cake (family party)
- Henri’s 10th birthday – Fortnite Loot Lake cake
- Henri’s 11th birthday – The Legend of Zelda BotW Master Sword cake
- Henri’s 12th birthday – Among Us cupcakes