If you’re ever in need of a quick and easy cake decorating idea, do what we did for the family cake for Henri’s 9th birthday and cover it in candy! (Technically “chocolates”, though the Smarties count as both).
Bake your cake(s) and prepare them for decorating with your preferred methods (or follow my tutorial).
While the crumb coat is setting up, prepare your chosen candies and chocolates. As Henri’s birthday is in January, I used Smarties, Aeros and KitKats left over from Hallowe’en. Unwrap everything and crush up anything you want to use crushed (like my Aeros). You want everything ready and at hand while the next layer of icing is still wet, so it will stick well.
Add a clean layer of icing to the cake on top of your chilled crumb coat, and then stick your candies into place. Lining the edges in Smarties is fun, easy and colorful. You can sort by colors and place in a pattern (as I did here) or you can use them randomly as with this cake (or this example).
Finally, you can decorate the top. Use KitKat bars to spell out an initial or age and fill in the remaining surface with crushed Aeros. Pat down gently with a clean, dry hand to embed the little chocolate bits into the icing well, so they don’t fall off when you move or transport the cake.
Candy and cake make a great combination and the great taste will belie just how easy this is to put together for any holiday or occasion.
Henri’s other birthday cakes
- Henri’s 1st birthday – football cake
- Henri’s 2nd birthday – The Wiggles cake
- Henri’s 3rd birthday – Dora and Diego cake
- Henri’s 4th birthday – Jake & The Neverland Pirates cake
- Henri’s 5th birthday – Skylanders cookies & cake topper
- Henri’s 6th birthday – Minecraft plains biome cake
- Henri’s 7th birthday – Pitfall: The Lost Expedition cake
- Henri’s 8th birthday – Undertale Tem Shop cake