Henri has wanted to be a viking for a while now. Not for Halloween, I mean he wants to be a viking in general. (It’s either viking or pirate, depending on the day).
Jakob got a light-up viking helmet at the How To Train Your Dragon Live Spectacular, and unfortunately when we brought Henri the next day they were all sold out of helmets, so he got a Toothless plushie instead. (Jakob, you’ll remember, got the one I knitted for his birthday…which I think I never blogged. Oops).
The kids share the helmet, and last month when it was time to pick costumes for ComicCon (which I think I also forgot to blog…crap) Henri REALLY wanted to wear the helmet and be a viking, but a quick search through the closets revealed that we didn’t have any viking clothes. All we had even close to a viking vest (like Hiccup wears in the movie) was a gray zippered sweatshirt-style vest. The kids dressed as Avengers instead but Henri had it stuck in his mind that that was his viking vest and he has worn it non-stop ever since. He’s worn it to school on back-to-back days, he’s worn it over his fall jacket, he wears it around the house, and on more times than I can count I check on him at night to find that he’s put it on over his pjs and worn it to sleep.
(Something about a 3 year old with tousled sleep hair in footie-pjs, amirite?)
He stops strangers to point out his “viking vest”, but commented a few weeks ago how “it’s not a REAL viking vest, Mommy, because it has a zipper and REAL viking vests have buttons”. Oh. Right. ‘Cus vikings didn’t have zippers.
I promised I’d make him a viking vest, and yesterday I did just that. I took photos throughout so if you want to make one, you can too.
I used some fur fabric my neighbor gave me, a sheet of newspaper, a sharpie & a pair of scissors, plus a sharp large-eyed needle, black acrylic yarn and white cotton yarn. The only other thing you need is a vest that fits your child (or you!).
I started by laying the vest on the paper and traced half of it. I used my finger to push down then traced to know where the neckline in the middle lined up.
I knew I wanted to add some length to the bottom and the armhole so it would fit him longer, as well as lowering the neckline to a v-neck, so I made those changes on my template.
I cut it out and checked against the vest.
I decided I wanted to make the neckline more sloped so marked off the changes on the pattern…
…then cut it out and checked again.
I was happy with the shape so I traced it onto my fabric. It’s hard to see, but I traced out the half-vest pattern, flipped it and traced again for the other front, then traced it back-to-back, flipped, for a piece to fit the back. The only thing I didn’t realize is that the fur fabric had a direction to it in which the fur laid flat. I tried to be as economical with the fabric as possible so didn’t have a choice, but you would probably rather make sure you’re lying the pieces with the fur running from up to down, like natural fur.
I cut the pieces out on the porch which was a great idea because there were bits of fur flying EVERYWHERE. I used my fingers to fluff up and pick at all the edges to make sure I’d gotten as many stray cut bits as possible before bringing it into the house.
I used a sharp needle and black chunky acrylic yarn from a big-box store to work a blanket stitch edging around each piece. I eyeballed it, placing the stitches roughly 0.5″ apart, and 0.5″ down into the fabric.
The simple edging really gave the pieces a finished, yet still “handmade by Vikings” look. (In this light you can see my fur runs in the opposite direction from how the vest will be worn, oops!)
This is the inside of the pieces, for those who like that kinda thing. 🙂
I used the same black yarn to seam the two sides and the shoulders together. I did something similar to mattress stitch, butting up the two pieces to be joined and catching a loop from each edge all the way along.
For a finishing touch I used white worsted-weight cotton yarn (dishcloth cotton) and made large stitches across the joined pieces. This is purely decorative, but makes it look like Vikings really made it! according to my 3 and 5 year olds, and I trust them.
This is Henri’s final costume- a green long-sleeved tee, brown cords, his new vest and the light-up plastic helmet. I may make a Viking axe if I have time/remember by Halloween.
Henri the Brave!
He thought he was dancing for me. I just wanted to see the decorative stitches.
That’s one happy Viking!
October 24, 2012 at 6:48 am
That’s awesome Jenn! He looks so happy in it 🙂
January 6, 2013 at 10:53 pm
How cute! That is a pretty awesome Viking vest! I made Halloween costumes this year too. We were the cast of Tangled. I was Mother Gothel, DH was Flynn Rider, Rio was Rapunzel (of course), and Iva was Pascal (the chameleon). I had to make the Flynn Rider vest and the Pascal costume, but it was actually pretty fun. 🙂
Pingback: Hallowe’en help |
Pingback: DIY Pirate Accessories From Dollar Store Items |
Pingback: Halloween projects you’ll still have time to make |
Pingback: Happy Birthday Sweet Seventeen |