Divine intervention? The good thoughts of family and friends? A well-timed sneeze? The sloshing about in my last prenatal aquafitness class? Boredom?
Whatever you want to claim as the cause, something caused my little kiddo to be on the move, because when I went to my latest OBGYN check-up on Tuesday, I found out (and had it confirmed via ultrasound) that the baby had turned! It is, or at least on Tuesday it was, head down. Yay!
So what does this mean? Well, I didn’t automatically cancel my c-section date. I’ll be seeing my doctor again first, and then I will be having a 38 week ultrasound to try and get a final estimation of the baby’s size. The ultrasound date is shortly before the c-section date, so if the baby is predicted to be too large to pass safely, then I will have the c-section. Should the baby NOT be deemed excessively large, and should no other factors come up that would pose a threat, then I will cancel the c-section and wait to go into labor, and will be attempting a VBAC.
Seems kinda scary to think about, now that I had adjusted to the idea of another cesarean. I added a few items to my hospital bag to help during labor, and will now also need to add some clothes and snacks for Yannick, because the last thing I’d want is for him to have to leave before the baby is born!
In honor of the baby turning (and because I just realized I never made this baby a toy yet!) I’m knitting another Sheldon. The first one I made (Rav, non-Rav) has been in Jakob’s crib since he left our bed, and I still catch him sleeping with his fingers around its neck.
p.s. I think it’s because of all the gut-busting coughing I’ve been doing for the last 3 weeks…but who knows?
December 11, 2008 at 11:49 am
Good news! I hope the baby stays head down, and not too big so you can get your wish of a non-cesarean birth.
December 11, 2008 at 1:14 pm
Mazel Tov (though I told you over the phone!)
Can’t wait to meet the baby which ever way it is born! As long as it’s healthy!
I think if we were to try for a girl, that I’d love to have a Csection…. after having had the opportunity to try both ways for both kids.
December 12, 2008 at 12:59 am
The only time a baby is too big to deliver vaginally is when Mom has uncontrolled diabetes, or a badly deformed pelvis….or a Dr. who wants to make sure that he’s not going to be sued for NOT performing a c-section….trust me BTDT “Oh your baby looks to be big, if you try a vaginal delivery you will permanantly injure or kill him….what do you say to that?? baby was born the next day via unwanted c-section…he had been very well engaged in my pelvis ready to come out had I only listened to my gut that said “wait”
December 12, 2008 at 2:05 pm
I’m so happy for you, Jennifer. Sadly, I wasn’t able to have a VBAC my second time around, and it’s something I would have loved to do. So go you!
December 22, 2008 at 3:26 pm
Wow, that’s great news! I hope everything continues to go well. I’ll be thinking about you often.