We’ve now run through Henri’s 1st cake (football jersey), his 2nd (The Wiggles Big Red Car), his 3rd (Diego, Dora & friends), and his 4th (Jake & the Neverland Pirates). His 6th cake, the Minecraft plains biome, was already posted as well, which leaves one missing, for those of you who can count. 😉
Sadly, for Henri’s 5th birthday, I didn’t make a cake. His party was at the now-defunct Fundomondo and they provided a cake with the party package, and nothing I tried managed to convince them to swap the cake for something else so I could bring my own. I didn’t see the need for cake redundancy, so I made cookies instead that fit the theme for that year, and also brought my own cake topper. That year’s theme was Skylanders Swap Force so we had…
The first thing I did was bake my standard vanilla/shortbread cookies and leave them to cool. While they did their thing I drew up a sketch for the topper I wanted for the cake and traced its shape onto a slab of white fondant.
After the fondant had dried a few days I traced a mirror image of my sketch onto wax paper, using a toothpick and black icing gel. Then I carefully pressed the wet gel onto the fondant slap and pressed lightly to transfer the outlines. The process is the same I explained here.
I let the gel dry a bit so it wouldn’t smear when I sat down to work with it. When it finally got no more than tacky I painted the topper with icing I’d tinted with gel colors, then set it aside to dry until the party.
Here it is on the generic cake they provided:
I used the same process to painstakingly transfer outlines of the 8 different Skylanders elements onto 4 dozen cookies. Sometimes I had enough gel left on my little squares of wax paper that I could use the same transfer twice, but most of the time I had to re-trace each element each time.
I let the gel dry a while just as I had for the cake topper, then painted in each outline with tinted icing.
Once they’d dried another day or so I carefully outlined each one with a black edible ink marker. The icing dried hard enough that I was able to stack them to bring them to the party without any cracking or indents. Because they were so thick they were still fresh-tasting and tender even after being worked on for a few days. (I ate a tech one. Because Sprocket).
Henri’s other birthday treats
- Henri’s 1st birthday – football cake
- Henri’s 2nd birthday – The Wiggles cake
- Henri’s 3rd birthday – Dora and Diego cake
- Henri’s 4th birthday – Jake & The Neverland Pirates cake
- Henri’s 6th birthday – Minecraft plains biome cake
- Henri’s 7th birthday – Pitfall: The Lost Expedition cake
- Henri’s 8th birthday – Undertale Tem Shop cake
- Henri’s 9th birthday – candy cake (family party)
- Henri’s 9th birthday – Neko Atsume Snowball cake
- Henri’s 10th birthday – Fortnite Loot Lake cake
- Henri’s 11th birthday – The Legend of Zelda BotW Master Sword cake
- Henri’s 12th birthday – Among Us cupcakes