6 Comments

knitting while impaired

I have another post in draft mode, all ready with photos and just waiting for the text.  I was going to try to work on it tomorrow, but tonight I found such a silly mistake in my knitting that I had to pre-empt myself to share it with you.

While on leave from work I decided to do some knitting for the boys.  First I got out Jakob’s mitered square blankie and rummaged through the sock yarn stash until I found the ends and bits of the same colors, and then used them in Henri’s so they would have the matching colors.

The photo below shows the order.  While Jakob’s blankie is mitered squares, Henri’s is garter squares that meander around in a big spiral from the center. 

I picked it up and began square #6, and by working on it off-and-on, along with a long car ride to and from Toronto last weekend, managed to get 26 squares done.  The big blue area is to match the same one in Jakob’s blanket.

Now that Henri’s is underway, I wanted to work on Jakob’s for a bit.  Almost all of the diamonds and triangles were already done.  Yesterday I did the red and black square between the pink and the large blue one.  I knew that today I’d have some knitting time at the hospital, because I had my pre-op appointment for my tonsillectomy.  I wanted to be able to just grab the knitting and go, in case I had to keep putting it down, so I decided to cast on last night before going to bed and get the next diamond ready for today.

I chose the Toasted Almond sock yarn from the last pair of socks I knit for myself, and thought I was being really clever in working one of the side diamonds.

Not so clever after all.  Only after I finished the diamond tonight did I realize that this diamond has no place being where it is!  D’oh!

The lesson here is two-fold: 1. always double-check your work when knitting on painkillers, and 2. if you rush to get something done before bed, you’ll probably regret it in the morning.

And on that note…off to rip…