See, even when away, I still get knitting done! Of course…in keeping with the way things have been lately, especially with my “why bother?” post…the first of 3 neckwarmers for Jakob’s daycare teachers that I complete is pink. The pink one is for a specific teacher (we’d found out their favorite colors). I got a call on Monday that she would be leaving his class for another class, and a replacement teacher would be starting this week. I sure hope this new girl likes pink!
Size: one size.
Yarn: Dream in Color Smooshy, in the colorway Cool Fire. Exactly 150 yards.
Needles: 3.75mm needle and crochet hook
Dates: November 20 – 23 2008
Modifications: None! I used the garter variation from the pattern itself, and did everything else as written.
As usual you can find my finished (and unfinished!) projects in my “projects” page by clicking the tab up at the top of every page on my blog, and I also have this project in my Ravelry notebook here.
I wanted to thank everyone for the comments over the weekend, and to explain a few reasons behind what I’d said. When we had found out that Jakob was breech (I think it was early, like 28 weeks) we were repeatedly told that there was plenty of time for him to turn.
I had been really hearbroken back then about getting “cheated” (my opinion only) out of a natural birth, and looked up all the different ways to turn a breech baby around. We found many websites, including the Spinning Babies one. With Yannick’s help I tried most of the non-invasive ones, including, but not limited to: ice packs, music, standing on my head, lying on a board at a 45 degree angle head-down, visualization, talking to the baby, lights and a few more. We didn’t try acupuncture or moxibustion (is that what it’s called?) and after consulting with my OB-GYN we decided against attempting the version technique. I know it can be successful but it can also lead to an emergency c-section, and because I had a number of extra pounds on my belly to begin with and was hard to “feel” the baby, my doctor was really doubtful it would be successful with me. Plus the baby could still reverse afterwards, making it have been for nothing.
Despite our efforts, nothing worked. They kept doing ultrasounds, right up until 5 minutes before the c-section, just to make sure. Obviously, he never turned. When my doctor was doing the surgery she told me that while his body was small (he weighed 8lbs 0 oz) his head was large, and was wedged into my ribs. She actually had a slightly hard time getting him out because he’d made himself such a home in there. Also, the umbilical cord was wrapped around his neck. It was loose and not life-threatening, but I still wonder if he HAD turned, would the cord’s placement have resulted in a possible tragedy?
My c-section went very well, I was awake the whole time and saw Jakob the moment he came out. Once he was cleaned up and weighed he was given to Yannick who held him at my face and let me kiss him and nuzzle him until they left for our room and I went to recovery. My actual recovery was relatively painless for my first-ever surgery, and my scar is small, neat and tidy.
So what does this mean for this child? I won’t be trying any turning techniques. My desire to have a “natural” delivery (as opposed to surgery) is a desire, but not an all-consuming one that would trump a baby’s safety. I know there are many mostly risk-free ways to attempt a turn, but after the experience with Jakob, Yannick and I both agreed it wasn’t worth the possible risk to the baby. I know many babies have the cords wrapped around them and it doesn’t always pose a danger, but I don’t want to know that any risk was caused by my intervention. As well, I know for a fact that a version won’t work on me. I have only gained 8 lbs with this pregnancy (so far) and there simply isn’t room for the baby to be turned manually without force, which I am not willing to subject myself or the baby to.
I know the options are there and I really appreciate that some of you would write to me with suggestions, but I have come to a sort of peace with the fact that I will most likely end up having a second c-section. My doctor is going to keep checking, though, just in case.
Oh, and about future VBACs…I don’t know if it is an official practice here, but after 2 c-sections, my hospital won’t allow a VBAC attempt. Could I switch hospitals, find a midwife or other practitioner who would allow it (or who would even allow a breech delivery)? Possibly. But my doctor is a high-risk specialist who I trust with mine and my babies’ lives. If I didn’t trust her opinion I would have switched a long time ago, and I’m not going to run to someone else because she gave me information I don’t like.
That being said…I still have 7 weeks for this baby to possibly turn. Either way, I’ll still end up starting the new year with a new, wonderful addition to our family, the support of my friends and loved ones, and a year to stay home and get to know the new person in the world. Things really aren’t as bad as they had seemed last week.
I’ll end this post with one of the shots we took during Jakob’s 18 month chair photo (forgotten about those?) last weekend. He was getting over the residual fever and had broken out in roseola from it, was tired and a little cranky, but is still as cute as ever! Enjoy!