This is the dinosaur I made for Phil and Lisa’s son Oliver. I had intended it to be ready for his bris, but he was born a bit early and I got busy with wedding stuff and then returned the library book before leaving for my honeymoon. It took a while to get it out again, but once I did the little guy only took about 2 weeks to knit up. The book is Easy Baby Knits by Family Circle and the pattern is Betsy Brachiosaurus (in the book she’s in bright pink with yellow). I didn’t make any modifications to the pattern other than using a larger size needle because I was using a slightly thicker yarn (and I used the same color for all the white areas, whereas the original pattern has some parts in white and others in yellow). I also omitted the long eyelashes and glued-on felt spots, stuff that I didn’t think would work well for a 3 month old baby.
I was quite irritated with the pattern as I knit it because I couldn’t figure out the odd shaping. It all became clear quite soon, however, and I was amazed at the ingenuity because by the time all the knitting was done there were only a few seams to do. In fact, once I’d sewn in the pads of the feet and the back of the legs, all I had left to do was stuff it and sew one long seam down the back. Quite cool.
As you can see he ended up quite tall! 21 inches (roughly). The pattern calls for him to end up 18″ but as I said I’d used a thicker yarn (Bernat Baby Coordinates in (duh) blue and white).
Side view showing his cute little fingernails, and how nicely his tail lets him balance to stand on his own.
Don’t look if the sight of a dinosaur degrading itself offends you. ;P