Today’s quick post is a lesson in always tinting more icing than you think you’ll need!
For Jakob’s second 3rd birthday cake (the first being the Smarties one) I baked box mixes and cut them into shapes to stack and create this dinosaur cake. I believe this is the tutorial I’d followed in order to get the template pieces.
I’d been curious about decorating a cake with little icing stars like the ones you see at grocery stores, so decided to try it out using a star-shaped icing tip and store-bought icing that I tinted with gel colors.
As you can see from the image above, I ran out of the pale blue shade and mixed up a bit more to finish the back left leg… except I didn’t realize that I didn’t match it quite right!
The final touch was to make some spines out of blue fondant and insert them into the cake once they’d had a chance to harden.
Personally I feel he looks a bit more like a dragon than a dinosaur, but he was tasty and the birthday boy was happy so that’s all that matters!
Jakob’s other birthday cakes
- Jakob’s 1st birthday – printed cake
- Jakob’s 2nd birthday – Pirate cake and pirate cupcakes
- Jakob’s 3rd birthday #1 – Smarties Number 3 cake
- Jakob’s 3rd birthday #2 – Dinosaur cake (this post)
- Jakob’s 4th birthday – Pixar’s CARS cake
- Jakob’s 6th birthday – Adventure Time cake
- Jakob’s 7th birthday #1 – Gunter cupcakes
- Jakob’s 7th birthday #2 – Adventure Time Gunter & BMO cakes
- Jakob’s 8th birthday – Minecraft Creeper checkerboard cake
- Jakob’s 9th birthday #1 – Super Smash Bros Brawl – Ike cake