The back of Sprocket’s vest complete, it was time to design the front. Sunday morning we slept in after a lovely and decadent family wedding, and then while Yannick mowed the lawn I drank some coffee and did maths.Before even beginning to decide how to tackle the front, I wanted a map of exactly how many rows my back piece was. I wasn’t concerned about matching width, but it would sure suck to start seaming the sides and realize my rows were way off. I pinned the back out to a blocking board, double-checked my hasty pattern, and filled in my sketch.
Now I knew I had 140 rows total for the front, and to make them even I could ‘spend’ 6 rows on the lower ribbing, 78 rows making my way to the armhole decreases, then jigger the bust however it took as long as I squished it all into 56 rows. On the width issue, my only requirement was that I finish the shoulders at 16 sts each, so I could do a 3ndl bind off on them later.
But in the end I figured it out. I would cast on enough sts for my belly, and work the rib to match the back. Mosey my way up to my waist, working darts to decrease towards my narrower point, and then after a bit worked even I’d re-increase along the same dart lines to fit my bust. More working even, and that should get me to the armholes. Then I’d decrease for the armholes AND the top of the bust darts at the same time, narrowing the whole top to the same 15″ across as the back. Work the straps, ending with 16 sts each. Easy peasy lemon squeezy, as Henri would say.
It worked! I got all the way up to the bust increases done on Sunday and after brunch with friends on Monday morning I came home and seamed the sides so I could try it on.
After trying this I have to say I’m hooked on darts. I think any knitted top that isn’t complicated by patterning, that I want to be somewhat fitted, will now have waist and bust darts. Or at least bust darts. The difference they make is astounding.